Affiliation: Senior Lecturer in Twentieth Century Postcolonial Literature, University of Leicester
Location: Leicester, East Midlands
Research Description: Rural racism, writing by black and Asian Britons, regional sensibility, regional literary cultures, literary economy, community publishing, British country houses’ slavery connections.
Research Keywords: Writing by black and Asian Britons.
Countries and Regions of Interest: UK, Midlands, rural Britain, North-West Britain.
- Travel Writing and Ethics. Theory and Practice ed. by Corinne Fowler, Charles Forsdick and Ludmilla Kostova (Routledge, 2013)
- Postcolonial Manchester: devolved literary cultures (Manchester University Press, 2013), with Lynne Pearce
- Chasing Tales. Travel writing, journalism and the history of British ideas about Afghanistan (Rodopi, 2007)
- Migration Stories ed. by Corinne Fowler, Muli Amaye and Martin de Mello (Crocus Books, 2009)
Special Journal Issues:
- Region/Writing/Home: Relocating British Diasporas, Moving Worlds volume 9:2, 2009, ed. with Graham Mort
- Journeys: ‘Travel and Ethics’ (4:1), 2003
- ‘Carers Cruising Cumbria and Meals on the Mile: Migrants in Fieldwork and Fiction’, Mobilities (7: 2) 2012, with Sondra Cuban
- ‘A Tale of Two Novels: devolving black British writing’, Journal of Commonwealth Literature (43:3) 2008, pp. 75-94
- ‘Articulation, Imagined Space and Virtual Mobility in Literary Narratives of Migration’, Mobilities (3:3) 2008, pp. 455-469, with Robert Crawshaw
- ‘Before Enduring Freedom: the legacy of nineteenth-century Anglo-Afghan encounters to British travel writing and journalism’ Studies in Travel Writing (7:1) 2007, pp. 155-175
- Journalists in feminist clothing. Men and women reporting Afghan women’ Journal of International Women’s Studies (8:2) 2007, pp. 4-19
- ‘Recuperating narratives with troublesome titles. A critical meta-commentary on the problem of reading Beatrice Grimshaw’s From Fiji to the Cannibal Islands (1907)’ Ecloga 2006, pp. 25-45
- ‘Moving Manchester: relocating diaspora research’ International Journal of the Humanities (1:1), 2006, with Lynne Pearce
- ‘The return of the author: developing effective modes of collaboration between writing practioners and analytical theorists’, International Journal of the Arts in Society (1:1), 2006, with Graham Mort
- ‘Where ethnographers fear to tread: the counter-influence of ethnography on Christopher Kremmer’s The Carpet Wars and Christina Lamb’s The Sewing Circles of Herat’ Journeys (4:1) 2003, pp. 103-128
- ‘Khaled Hosseini: The Kite Runner (2004)’ in the Literary Encyclopaedia
- ‘The Poetics and Politics of Spoken Word Poetry’ in The Cambridge Companion to Black British Writing, ed. Deirdre Osborne, 2015.
- ‘Travel and Ethics’ in The Routledge Companion to Travel Writing, ed. Carl Thompson, 2015.
- ‘Fiction and Affect: Anglophone Travel Writing and the Case of Paraguay’ in Travel Writing and Ethics. Theory and Practice, ed. Charles Forsdick, Corinne Fowler and Ludmilla Kostova (London: Routledge 2012)
- ‘Feminist imperialism: travel writing and journalism past and present’ in The Politics of Gender (Routledge, 2009)
- ‘The problem of narrative authority: Kate Karko and Catherine Oddie’ in Siegal, Kristi (ed) Gender, Genre and Identity in Women’s Travel Writing (Peter Lang Publishing) 2003, pp. 209-224
- ‘North, South: Britain’s alternative literary landscapes’, The London Magazine, March/April 2010
- ‘The Flood’, Arabesques Review, 2007, pp. 29-35
- ‘Clackmannan Tower’ in Days Like This, Edinburgh: Luath Press, 2009, pp. 143-146
- ‘The Black Devon’, New Writing Scotland, volume 27, 2009
- Migration Stories, ed. by Muli Amaye, Martin De Mello and Corinne Fowler (Crocus Books, 2009)